Instructions following Extractions
- Place cold towels or an ice bag to your face for the first 6-8 hours. Leave it on 15 minutes, then off for 15 minutes.
- Do not rinse mouth until the following day.
- On the morning following surgery, rinse mouth with warm salt water (1/2 teaspoon salt to a glass of warm water). Repeat this several times daily.
- Keep fingers and tongue away from socket.
- BLEEDING - it is normal for the saliva to be slightly streaked with blood for about 1-2 days. If abnormal bleeding occurs, place a piece of moist gauze over extraction site and bite down for 30-45 minutes.
- Following dental surgery it is normal to experience some discomfort. If medication has been prescribed, take as instructed.
- SWELLING & STIFFNESS - is normal and should not cause alarm. Apply cold towels or ice bag for 15 minutes of each hour is needed.
- DIET. A liquid or soft diet is advisable during the first 24 hours. Drink lots of liquids.
- Return to office if undue symptoms develop.